Let me just start by saying that I'm extremely homesick and long over-due for a trip home! That being said...let's begin. Last month we went to New Orleans for the weekend. As I was walking down Bourbon Street I heard a band playing a ZZ Top song. La Grange to be exact. My thoughts instantly drifted to my dad and the music he surrounded us with (forced on us..hehe!)as we were growing up. I've been thinking about it ever since! If you know my dad, you know he loves music.If my mom's not home, and you're within a 5 mile radius of my parent's house...you can probably hear what he's listening to! Anyway, I thought it would be fun to add this play list of songs and artists that are engraved upon my brain and I will always associate with my dad.
The first song is from Creedence Clearwater Revival. As a teenager I would secretly listen to this CD in my room. Shhh! I didn't want my dad to know that I actually liked "this crap." Secret blown I suppose. Creedence is one of my favorite bands. The second song is Radar Love. I'm pretty sure this is the theme song to my life growing up. It didn't matter where we were or where we were going...you were sure to hear Radar Love at some point. In the boat. In the truck. Camping. In the back yard. In the garage. In the living room playing so loud you'd think your ear drums would explode. This song brings back many memories for me, and I'm pretty sure it could be used as a form of torture against my brothers and I. I know every word. I was talking to Josh about this and he thinks I should play it before every trip I take with my family. You know...say a prayer, listen to radar love, begin the trip. A tradition that should continue. Hehehe!
One of my favorite things to do with my dad is to go for a "truck ride" up the canyon. We always go up AF canyon. Before heading up the canyon we have to stop and get a "hot cocoa" and some secretly delicious waxy hostess chocolate donuts (if it were a summer drive up the canyon...we would stop to get a "creme cone"). A truck ride isn't complete with out them. My favorite time to go up the canyon is during winter. I love how the snow heavy trees lean over the road to form a long white tunnel. One the way up, you're sure to hear Phil Collins, Dan Fogelberg, The Moody Blues, Eagles, Clapton, and maybe some Johnny Cash thrown in. It's always a good time to go for a truck ride. Be sure to watch for deer (you'll never see one...and dead ones don't count) and you'll get a dollar. :) (By the way...I say "watch for deer" all the time to trav, he never wins)
The first year we moved down here, Trav and I had gone shopping at the outlet stores that are about an hour from our house. I was really homesick and was having a bad day. I kept trying to think "happy thoughts" and drown my sorrows in new shoes. We walked into Banana Republic. Playing on the store radio was Lay Lady Lay by Bob Dylan. I had heard this song a Bzillion times...always with my dad. Instant tears. Uncontrollable sobs. In the middle of Banana Republic. C-raaaazy! That's me. Lay Lady Lay was the straw that broke the camel's back that day. Yes...I do realize I'm lame. :)
My list of bands wouldn't be complete without Roy Orbison, Stevie-Ray Vaughn, Neil Diamond (crank it joshie...TODAY!!), and ZZ Top. I'm pretty sure my love of ZZ Top makes me a red neck, but I'm willing to assume that title. What's lacking on this list is the Beatles. This is for two reasons. The first is that I couldn't find an authentic copy of a beatles' song on this player, and the second is I've been scarred. The Beatles are by far my dad's favorite band. I have heard their songs over, and over, and over, and over, and over ( you get my point). I'm sorry...it was too much. I don't like the Beatles. There. I said it. I don't. I know "they're the greatest band ever recorded" and blah blah blah...but I still don't like them. Blame my father. He's responsible for over playing their songs. Don't get me wrong...I'll listen to the Beatles if they're playing...but you won't find them on my Ipod. Get over it dad. :)
Well, now you know what I've been reminiscing about this past Father's day weekend. I'm thankful for my dad and for the wonderful dad that Trav has become. It's been fun to watch these two men progress into their new roles. Trav as "dadoo", and my dad as "papa." I'm pretty sure Tate has them both wrapped around his little finger! I miss you all and can't wait to see you again!
1 comment:
We were in NOLA over Memorial Day weekend, is that when you all were there? Crazy. Great taste in music, those are all great songs and bands!
Post a Comment